The History of Heritage Estate
During 1908 to 1910, discussions took place between representatives of the Transvaal Government and the Transvaal Chamber of Mines, and an Association called the Transvaal Miners Phthisis (TB) Association was formed to treat miners with respiratory ailments. The Government donated a piece of land of approximately 20 acres with buildings, in Springkell near the Modderfontein Dynamite Factory. The Chamber of Mines then erected a sanatorium to deal generally patients suffering from TB. The Certificate of Incorporation was signed by the Colonial Secretary of the time – JC Smuts who later became Prime minister of South Africa
Springkell Sanatorium (Heritage House) was opened in 1911. At the time, there was no medication for the TB, and patients were kept in isolation. They were however also encouraged to do gardening, bricklaying, poultry farming, painting and carpentry. A billiard room, bowling green were added and The Pavilion – a concert hall, in 1925.
In July 1980, Springkell was transferred to the Chamber of mines as a rehabilitation center and then sold to Educor to be developed as an educational facility and parts of the movie “Hotel Rwanda” were filmed on location in 2004.
The focus of Heritage Estate is Heritage House and The Oval with the Pavilion. The developers are committed to restoring and refurbishing the house and surrounding heritage buildings to their original glory, guided by the Heritage Association, and has aimed to convey the history of the buildings to all new buildings in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
The Provincial Heritage Resources Authority Gauteng (PHRAG) is responsible for the identification, conservation and management of heritage resources throughout the province. If an owner or developer plans to alter or demolish an identified heritage resource or structure older than 60 years, they will need to apply to the PHRAG for a permit.